Another quick post, this time to announce that my Smiling Corpse set is now up on the FINRG SoundCloud - hopefully this’ll introduce a few more people to the newer tunes on the tracklist, as well as give a little extra exposure to Smiling Corpse. Wyrm’s set is also on SoundCloud, and you can find it here.
Posted in UK, Goa / Psy, Canadian, Finnish, Japanese, Events, Mixes | 1 Comment »
The typically farcical Hardcore Heaven awards have brought plenty of complaints from our scene, but the heroic folk at the Freeform Forum have ridden to the rescue with their own version. The open vote will run for a couple of weeks, and it’ll be fascinating to see what results it throws up - head over to the voting page to make your choices. There’s also a dedicated thread on the Freeform Forum itself which will surely be worth keeping an eye on.
Posted in Events, Top Tens | No Comments »
At first glance this looks like a well-above average Japanese gabber/hardcore compilation (released a couple of months ago), but lurking near the end of the tracklist you’ll also find two new freeform tracks from Le Dos-on. Zafkiel is the better of the two, featuring the emotional melodies mixed with demented filters that often mark out Le Dos-on’s finest tracks, while Benetnasch is a more typical dancefloor-friendly tune that would likely work well in some lighter sets. Unusually for this sort of compilation, the standard of tracks is impressively high all the way through, with some particularly quality stuff from 6th, Noizenecio and kenta.v.ez.
01 - Scarlet - Change The World
02 - IceCreamSandWitch - Makina
03 - Nizikawa - Akagi
04 - nnn - Basement
05 - Hard Harmonizer - Drop it
06 - 6th - Killing Weapon
07 - Noizenecio - Bass Stream
08 - QUIL - Knight of Carim
09 - kenta-v.ez. - cAtAstrophic sEquENcE
10 - Lechery - MAD KILLER
11 - DJ 490 - b347z cr4ck1n
12 - Le Dos-on - Benetnasch
13 - Le Dos-on & Psycho Stalker - Zafkiel
14 - XIO - Paradise
Posted in Drum & Bass, Releases, Japanese | No Comments »
I’m doing my best to catch up on stuff these days, so next from the archives we have a wonderful set from Cyberdyne Seba. I get the impression from the SoundCloud comments that most Horsers have been on the case with this one for a good while, but anyone else who enjoys high-energy freeform with plenty of filters definitely needs to check this set out.
Reminiscent of an Alderz/Beezee set, this one doesn’t let up for a moment and gets the balance of melodies and nastiness just about spot on. Watch out too for some fantastic, energetic mixing - Surendrajit into Lush is a very ambitious combo that crashes through in fine style, but there are plenty of other nice selections and a perfectly timed use of Vyral XIII’s Auracite that deserves an honourable mention.
I obviously need to give a special thanks to Seba for the extensive use of the TYFTH SoundCloud, it’s great to see how well the tunes fit into a set of this standard, and equally nice to see DJs putting the tracks to good use - that’s the point of this little project, after all.
1. +12V - Read/Write (Free DL: www.happyhardcore.com/forums/topic.a…TOPIC_ID=60229)
2. Transcend - Spirit Of Hades (Stamina Slam)
3. Substanced - Damage Point (Relentless Digital)
4. Rob O.T.T. - New Direction (Free DL: soundcloud.com/thank-you-for-the-horse/rob-o-t-t-new-direction)
5. Vyral XIII - Auracite (2013 Edit) (Free DL: www.vyral13.bandcamp.com)
6. Substanced - Colombia (Free DL: soundcloud.com/thank-you-for-the-horse/substanced-colombia)
7. Invader & Nightforce - Auferstehung (Full Circle DJs Remix) (Free DL: soundcloud.com/invaderben/auferstehung-fullcircledjs-remix)
8. Bewtixt & Between - Surendrajit (2011 Refix)(Free DL no longer available?)
9. Pain On Creation - Lush (Epyx & Cyrez Remix) (Free DL: soundcloud.com/finrg-recordings/pain-on-creation-lush-epyx)
10. Twisted Freq - All 4 You (Free DL: soundcloud.com/thank-you-for-the-horse/twisted-freq-fall-4-you)
11. Betwixt & Between - Phaedra (Free DL: soundcloud.com/thank-you-for-the-horse/betwixt-between-phaedra)
12. Tazz vs. Solar State - Rhythm Flows (Electronic Recordings)
13. Olly Addictive - PH Machine (3form Records)
14. A.M.S. - Overload (Free DL no longer available)
Posted in Canadian, UK, Finnish, Drum & Bass, Japanese, Mixes | No Comments »
Many thanks to everyone who tuned into last month’s Smiling Corpse podcast, and equally hearty thanks to Wyrm and the SC crew for the invitation to play - as always I’m hugely grateful for the support. The entire show has just been added to the Dead Happy archive, so let’s take the chance to look back at the two sets.
Putting my mix together was traumatic to say the least, as I did my very best to strike the balance between using sections from recent club events and not ending up with a structureless Frankenstein’s monster of a set. Personally I think I fell into that trap with Episode 7 of Munted! Monthly, but this time I considered how to use pre-existing stuff much more carefully and am far happier with the end result. Having said that, a few days before the deadline I hacked out 6 (!) tracks and had a proper (if manic) rethink, as it clearly didn’t have enough melancholy or relisten value.
As always, a massive thanks to the artists and labels who provided tunes - these sets couldn’t happen at all without your help. This time I was sold on Gestaltzerfall as an intro track the moment I heard it, and either by DJing sixth sense or blind luck (I know which one’s more likely) Prelude was the first tune I tried as a mix. Happily, Prelude has been a backup connection for the Freedom - Rise - Dilapidated section for a good few months now, and that really inspired me for the rest of the set. Fatal Flashback and Afraid was a recent find, while I’ve been playing around with the Neon Circuitboards - Gravity’s Rainbow - Darkstar section since Munted! in London. After much back and forth, I finally decided on Helix - Mohicans as the finale after playing the preceding 50mins a few times in practice. There’s just enough nastiness to link them both to the rest of the set, before heading off into that magical, melancholy direction.
Of course the set’s far from perfect, but given my time restrictions these days I was really glad to see how some of the Krafty listeners enjoyed it on the night - it made all the hair-tearing and kickdrum-induced headaches worthwhile. By the way, a couple of the ‘CDR’ tracks here are headed for release (or at least, announcement of a release) very soon indeed, and will likely sound even nicer as here I used unmastered/older versions.
01) Guld - Gestaltzerfall [CDR]
02) Epyx & Cyrez - Prelude [Electronica Exposed]
03) Proteus - Freedom [CDR]
04) Thanatos - Rise (Render Regalia remix) [Allkore]
05) ikaruga_nex - Dilapidated [Fukyagaku Hardcore] / ikaruga_nex - Dilapidated 2013 [Freeformatted]
06) Carbon Based - Fatal Flashback [FINRG]
07) Nomic - Afraid [CDR]
08) Twisted Freq - Alien [Electronica Exposed]
09) Qygen - Neon Circuit Boards [CDR]
10) Betwixt & Between - Gravity’s Rainbow [Hardcore Tano*C]
11) Alek Szahala - Darkstar [Electronica Exposed]
12) Betwixt & Between - Ultra World 6 [CDR]
13) Blender & Nomic - Battle of Dawn [CDR]
14) Twisted Freq - Saturn Atmosfear [Volatile Digital]
15) Aryx - Helix [CDR]
16) Alek Szahala - Last of the Mohicans (Remix) [CDR]
Let’s not forget Wyrm’s fantastic second hour though - his set was full of unexpected twists, from hard techno to psy via plenty of unreleased SC material. After a timely Happy Birthday, Wyrm went heavy on the harder tracks (Rhythmic Tool being a standout for me), followed by some quality new freeform. I hadn’t heard Custom Built DJs’ Pneumatic or Qygen’s superb remix of Tendrils of Reality before, while it was lovely to hear Qygen’s tribute to Betwixt & Between - Kimura Kaoru no Densetsu - being used so effectively in a set. Add Dodomeki to the list and you really see the strength in depth of Smiling Corpse’s upcoming releases. Some typically nutty psy has also been very skilfully woven into the set, making this a genuine must-listen if you didn’t catch it at the time.
01) Flute Guy - Happy Birthday
02) Mechanical Brothers vs. Instigator - Frozen Hell [Cannibal Society]
03) Wyrm & Surtr - Tesseract [Electrode]
04) Greg Notill & Slugos - Rhythmic Tool [Cannibal Society]
05) Tyranoid & Strongstream - Stalingrad (Osmo Remix) [FiNRG]
06) Greg Notill - Conscient but Denied (Instigator Remix) [Kube Records]
07) Custom Built DJ’s - Pneumatic [F/C Smiling Corpse]
08) Anon - Manix#1 [F/C Buzzin’ Bootlegs]
09) Cosmic Lizard vs. Metahuman - K-Jah! [Lunatic Alien Records]
10) Ikaruga_Nex - Dodomeki [F/C Smiling Corpse]
11) Qygen - Kimura Kaoru no Densetsu [F/C Smiling Corpse]
12) Oxidaksi - White Weirdo [Cryptic Symmetry Records]
13) Substanced - Reptile Zoo [FiNRG]
14) Wyrm - Tendrils of Reality (Qygen Remix) [F/C Smiling Corpse]
Posted in Canadian, UK, Goa / Psy, Finnish, Drum & Bass, Japanese, Events, Mixes | 1 Comment »
Dark Dimension’s Halloween edition was a massive affair held at Shinjuku’s Christon Cafe (which also houses Decadance Bar), bringing together a pretty special lineup from all corners of Tokyo’s darker scenes. After a typically arduous few months of mainstream Tokyo I’d have loved to attend, but luckily we have here an awesome 45 minutes of Hiroyuki Takahashi’s live painting session for those that missed it. I’m a big fan of Takahashi’s work, and his live appearances are always amazing. It’s probably worth mentioning that the accompanying performance (while fairly tame for events at Christon) might drift into NSFW territory as things progress.
The bonus here is that Guld starts his set from around the 9.40 mark in the second video. Settle down for 25 minutes of classic Guld, with plenty of Romancer classics alongside some newer tracks (including Gestaltzerfall) and some brilliant crowd reaction. Great to see that the audience is still there for the harder genres, and that Dark Dimension is growing with each new event.
Posted in Events, Japanese | No Comments »
Let’s finish off a hattrick of Freeformaniacs posts with the rest of Round 12’s schedule. We’ve just missed the broadcast of Pearsall’s set (look out for the download), but there are plenty of other quality DJs lined up to finish the year. Worth mentioning that the show has now moved over to happyhardcore.com, so that’s the place to go if your time zone allows for live listening.
5th December - Raqhow / Damo
12th December - Jerome / Alchemiist vs Shimotsukei
19th December - Cuedy / J-Kub vs Piumaki
26th December - Olly Atomic B2B Olly Addictive
2nd January - Pulse / Beezee B2B Alderz
Posted in UK, Finnish, Events, Japanese | No Comments »
My increasingly geriatric Hell’s Gate rework is mixing with the elite here, in what has to be my favourite Dyzphazia set for a long time and a treat for all fans of filtery freeform. Tracks 1-5 work brilliantly together, establishing a dark atmosphere that then leads into some top quality combinations - check out Darkside into Outbreak as an example, a nicely ambitious mix that had me enjoying Rx’s remix a lot more than I usually do. The whole set flows very well though, finishing with Le Dos-on’s Morokai remix. Upcoming on Smiling Corpse, Le Dos-on has excelled himself with a glorious breakdown that recalls the very best of Japanese and Finnish freeform.
Well done to Dyzphazia for an awesome effort - this one comes very highly recommended.
1) Epyx & Cyrez Vs. Substanced - Expedition Bloodbath [Electronica Exposed]
2) Alek Szahala - Voices of Babylon [FiNRG]
3) Zio - Hell’s Gate (Plasmadancer Remix) [TYFTH]
4) ThermalForce - Al Megiddo [Khaotic Dimension]
5) Alchemiist - Empire [FiNRG]
6) Carbon Based - Darkside [FiNRG]
7) Endemic vs. Solution - Outbreak (DJ Rx Remix) [NuEnergy]
8 ) Epyx & Cyrez - Blackest Night (Endemic Remix) [Watchtower]
9) Kors-K - Tubular Bells [Nukleuz]
10) Le Dos-On - A (Cyrez Remix) [Splash Energy]
11) Substanced Vs. Transcend Vs. Horzi - Eons of Anxious Hater (Substanced Mashup) [CDr]
12) Hommarju - Verzweiflung [Relentless Digital]
13) Aryx - Morokai (Le Dos-On Remix) [F/C Smiling Corpse]
Posted in UK, Finnish, Japanese, Mixes | No Comments »
Freeformaniacs Round 10 - Nomic (Guest Mix) (20/06/2013) by Freeformaniacs on Mixcloud
Nomic’s spectacular session on the Freeformaniacs show was actually recorded back in June, but somehow I’ve only recently discovered it. Maybe I confused it with the Smiling Corpse show? Whatever the reason for my dimwittery at the time, this set’s a real treat and might even be the best Nomic mix I’ve heard so far.
The selection is fantastic, and showcases Nomic’s recent cleaner and (by his own admission), properly mastered style, heavy on the energy and danceable melodies. It’s brilliant to see that the trademark melancholy sections are still there though and it’s only when I heard all these new tracks mixed together that I properly appreciated how effective the evolution in his style has been.
Also great to hear some quality connections that do a lot for the overall flow - Nomic has obviously done his best to combine little 2-3 track sections that work well together, giving the set plenty of re-listen value. Most will surely have checked it out long ago, but anyone else needs to get on the case asap.
- Nomic - Intro
- Nomic & Pain on Creation - Make Me Real
- Nomic - Rule Breaker
- Nomic - Black Lotus
- Nomic - Human Race Pt. II
- Liberty - Tomorrow (Nomic remix)
- Nomic - Innocence
- Nomic - Suicide Machine
- Nomic - Unreal
- Nomic - Rift
- Marilyn Manson - This is the New Shit (Nomic Bootleg)
Posted in Finnish, Mixes | No Comments »
It’s an enormous honour for me to announce that I’ll be appearing alongside Wyrm on this month’s Smiling Corpse podcast! Following the past couple of shows won’t be easy, but I’ve put as much time as possible into my set (hence the silence again here recently) and we’re sure to have an awesome second hour with Wyrm.
Now that the UK’s back on GMT it’s a bit easier to for us in Japan to catch the show as it goes out, so I’ll be up bright and early on Sunday to mingle in the Krafty chat. Hope to see everyone there!
Posted in UK, Events, Japanese | 2 Comments »