Another quick post, this time to announce that my Smiling Corpse set is now up on the FINRG SoundCloud - hopefully this’ll introduce a few more people to the newer tunes on the tracklist, as well as give a little extra exposure to Smiling Corpse. Wyrm’s set is also on SoundCloud, and you can find it here.
Posted in UK, Goa / Psy, Canadian, Finnish, Japanese, Events, Mixes | 1 Comment »
I’m doing my best to catch up on stuff these days, so next from the archives we have a wonderful set from Cyberdyne Seba. I get the impression from the SoundCloud comments that most Horsers have been on the case with this one for a good while, but anyone else who enjoys high-energy freeform with plenty of filters definitely needs to check this set out.
Reminiscent of an Alderz/Beezee set, this one doesn’t let up for a moment and gets the balance of melodies and nastiness just about spot on. Watch out too for some fantastic, energetic mixing - Surendrajit into Lush is a very ambitious combo that crashes through in fine style, but there are plenty of other nice selections and a perfectly timed use of Vyral XIII’s Auracite that deserves an honourable mention.
I obviously need to give a special thanks to Seba for the extensive use of the TYFTH SoundCloud, it’s great to see how well the tunes fit into a set of this standard, and equally nice to see DJs putting the tracks to good use - that’s the point of this little project, after all.
1. +12V - Read/Write (Free DL: www.happyhardcore.com/forums/topic.a…TOPIC_ID=60229)
2. Transcend - Spirit Of Hades (Stamina Slam)
3. Substanced - Damage Point (Relentless Digital)
4. Rob O.T.T. - New Direction (Free DL: soundcloud.com/thank-you-for-the-horse/rob-o-t-t-new-direction)
5. Vyral XIII - Auracite (2013 Edit) (Free DL: www.vyral13.bandcamp.com)
6. Substanced - Colombia (Free DL: soundcloud.com/thank-you-for-the-horse/substanced-colombia)
7. Invader & Nightforce - Auferstehung (Full Circle DJs Remix) (Free DL: soundcloud.com/invaderben/auferstehung-fullcircledjs-remix)
8. Bewtixt & Between - Surendrajit (2011 Refix)(Free DL no longer available?)
9. Pain On Creation - Lush (Epyx & Cyrez Remix) (Free DL: soundcloud.com/finrg-recordings/pain-on-creation-lush-epyx)
10. Twisted Freq - All 4 You (Free DL: soundcloud.com/thank-you-for-the-horse/twisted-freq-fall-4-you)
11. Betwixt & Between - Phaedra (Free DL: soundcloud.com/thank-you-for-the-horse/betwixt-between-phaedra)
12. Tazz vs. Solar State - Rhythm Flows (Electronic Recordings)
13. Olly Addictive - PH Machine (3form Records)
14. A.M.S. - Overload (Free DL no longer available)
Posted in Canadian, UK, Finnish, Drum & Bass, Japanese, Mixes | No Comments »
Many thanks to everyone who tuned into last month’s Smiling Corpse podcast, and equally hearty thanks to Wyrm and the SC crew for the invitation to play - as always I’m hugely grateful for the support. The entire show has just been added to the Dead Happy archive, so let’s take the chance to look back at the two sets.
Putting my mix together was traumatic to say the least, as I did my very best to strike the balance between using sections from recent club events and not ending up with a structureless Frankenstein’s monster of a set. Personally I think I fell into that trap with Episode 7 of Munted! Monthly, but this time I considered how to use pre-existing stuff much more carefully and am far happier with the end result. Having said that, a few days before the deadline I hacked out 6 (!) tracks and had a proper (if manic) rethink, as it clearly didn’t have enough melancholy or relisten value.
As always, a massive thanks to the artists and labels who provided tunes - these sets couldn’t happen at all without your help. This time I was sold on Gestaltzerfall as an intro track the moment I heard it, and either by DJing sixth sense or blind luck (I know which one’s more likely) Prelude was the first tune I tried as a mix. Happily, Prelude has been a backup connection for the Freedom - Rise - Dilapidated section for a good few months now, and that really inspired me for the rest of the set. Fatal Flashback and Afraid was a recent find, while I’ve been playing around with the Neon Circuitboards - Gravity’s Rainbow - Darkstar section since Munted! in London. After much back and forth, I finally decided on Helix - Mohicans as the finale after playing the preceding 50mins a few times in practice. There’s just enough nastiness to link them both to the rest of the set, before heading off into that magical, melancholy direction.
Of course the set’s far from perfect, but given my time restrictions these days I was really glad to see how some of the Krafty listeners enjoyed it on the night - it made all the hair-tearing and kickdrum-induced headaches worthwhile. By the way, a couple of the ‘CDR’ tracks here are headed for release (or at least, announcement of a release) very soon indeed, and will likely sound even nicer as here I used unmastered/older versions.
01) Guld - Gestaltzerfall [CDR]
02) Epyx & Cyrez - Prelude [Electronica Exposed]
03) Proteus - Freedom [CDR]
04) Thanatos - Rise (Render Regalia remix) [Allkore]
05) ikaruga_nex - Dilapidated [Fukyagaku Hardcore] / ikaruga_nex - Dilapidated 2013 [Freeformatted]
06) Carbon Based - Fatal Flashback [FINRG]
07) Nomic - Afraid [CDR]
08) Twisted Freq - Alien [Electronica Exposed]
09) Qygen - Neon Circuit Boards [CDR]
10) Betwixt & Between - Gravity’s Rainbow [Hardcore Tano*C]
11) Alek Szahala - Darkstar [Electronica Exposed]
12) Betwixt & Between - Ultra World 6 [CDR]
13) Blender & Nomic - Battle of Dawn [CDR]
14) Twisted Freq - Saturn Atmosfear [Volatile Digital]
15) Aryx - Helix [CDR]
16) Alek Szahala - Last of the Mohicans (Remix) [CDR]
Let’s not forget Wyrm’s fantastic second hour though - his set was full of unexpected twists, from hard techno to psy via plenty of unreleased SC material. After a timely Happy Birthday, Wyrm went heavy on the harder tracks (Rhythmic Tool being a standout for me), followed by some quality new freeform. I hadn’t heard Custom Built DJs’ Pneumatic or Qygen’s superb remix of Tendrils of Reality before, while it was lovely to hear Qygen’s tribute to Betwixt & Between - Kimura Kaoru no Densetsu - being used so effectively in a set. Add Dodomeki to the list and you really see the strength in depth of Smiling Corpse’s upcoming releases. Some typically nutty psy has also been very skilfully woven into the set, making this a genuine must-listen if you didn’t catch it at the time.
01) Flute Guy - Happy Birthday
02) Mechanical Brothers vs. Instigator - Frozen Hell [Cannibal Society]
03) Wyrm & Surtr - Tesseract [Electrode]
04) Greg Notill & Slugos - Rhythmic Tool [Cannibal Society]
05) Tyranoid & Strongstream - Stalingrad (Osmo Remix) [FiNRG]
06) Greg Notill - Conscient but Denied (Instigator Remix) [Kube Records]
07) Custom Built DJ’s - Pneumatic [F/C Smiling Corpse]
08) Anon - Manix#1 [F/C Buzzin’ Bootlegs]
09) Cosmic Lizard vs. Metahuman - K-Jah! [Lunatic Alien Records]
10) Ikaruga_Nex - Dodomeki [F/C Smiling Corpse]
11) Qygen - Kimura Kaoru no Densetsu [F/C Smiling Corpse]
12) Oxidaksi - White Weirdo [Cryptic Symmetry Records]
13) Substanced - Reptile Zoo [FiNRG]
14) Wyrm - Tendrils of Reality (Qygen Remix) [F/C Smiling Corpse]
Posted in Canadian, UK, Goa / Psy, Finnish, Drum & Bass, Japanese, Events, Mixes | 1 Comment »
Let’s finish off a hattrick of Freeformaniacs posts with the rest of Round 12’s schedule. We’ve just missed the broadcast of Pearsall’s set (look out for the download), but there are plenty of other quality DJs lined up to finish the year. Worth mentioning that the show has now moved over to happyhardcore.com, so that’s the place to go if your time zone allows for live listening.
5th December - Raqhow / Damo
12th December - Jerome / Alchemiist vs Shimotsukei
19th December - Cuedy / J-Kub vs Piumaki
26th December - Olly Atomic B2B Olly Addictive
2nd January - Pulse / Beezee B2B Alderz
Posted in UK, Finnish, Events, Japanese | No Comments »
My increasingly geriatric Hell’s Gate rework is mixing with the elite here, in what has to be my favourite Dyzphazia set for a long time and a treat for all fans of filtery freeform. Tracks 1-5 work brilliantly together, establishing a dark atmosphere that then leads into some top quality combinations - check out Darkside into Outbreak as an example, a nicely ambitious mix that had me enjoying Rx’s remix a lot more than I usually do. The whole set flows very well though, finishing with Le Dos-on’s Morokai remix. Upcoming on Smiling Corpse, Le Dos-on has excelled himself with a glorious breakdown that recalls the very best of Japanese and Finnish freeform.
Well done to Dyzphazia for an awesome effort - this one comes very highly recommended.
1) Epyx & Cyrez Vs. Substanced - Expedition Bloodbath [Electronica Exposed]
2) Alek Szahala - Voices of Babylon [FiNRG]
3) Zio - Hell’s Gate (Plasmadancer Remix) [TYFTH]
4) ThermalForce - Al Megiddo [Khaotic Dimension]
5) Alchemiist - Empire [FiNRG]
6) Carbon Based - Darkside [FiNRG]
7) Endemic vs. Solution - Outbreak (DJ Rx Remix) [NuEnergy]
8 ) Epyx & Cyrez - Blackest Night (Endemic Remix) [Watchtower]
9) Kors-K - Tubular Bells [Nukleuz]
10) Le Dos-On - A (Cyrez Remix) [Splash Energy]
11) Substanced Vs. Transcend Vs. Horzi - Eons of Anxious Hater (Substanced Mashup) [CDr]
12) Hommarju - Verzweiflung [Relentless Digital]
13) Aryx - Morokai (Le Dos-On Remix) [F/C Smiling Corpse]
Posted in UK, Finnish, Japanese, Mixes | No Comments »
Freeformaniacs Round 10 - Nomic (Guest Mix) (20/06/2013) by Freeformaniacs on Mixcloud
Nomic’s spectacular session on the Freeformaniacs show was actually recorded back in June, but somehow I’ve only recently discovered it. Maybe I confused it with the Smiling Corpse show? Whatever the reason for my dimwittery at the time, this set’s a real treat and might even be the best Nomic mix I’ve heard so far.
The selection is fantastic, and showcases Nomic’s recent cleaner and (by his own admission), properly mastered style, heavy on the energy and danceable melodies. It’s brilliant to see that the trademark melancholy sections are still there though and it’s only when I heard all these new tracks mixed together that I properly appreciated how effective the evolution in his style has been.
Also great to hear some quality connections that do a lot for the overall flow - Nomic has obviously done his best to combine little 2-3 track sections that work well together, giving the set plenty of re-listen value. Most will surely have checked it out long ago, but anyone else needs to get on the case asap.
- Nomic - Intro
- Nomic & Pain on Creation - Make Me Real
- Nomic - Rule Breaker
- Nomic - Black Lotus
- Nomic - Human Race Pt. II
- Liberty - Tomorrow (Nomic remix)
- Nomic - Innocence
- Nomic - Suicide Machine
- Nomic - Unreal
- Nomic - Rift
- Marilyn Manson - This is the New Shit (Nomic Bootleg)
Posted in Finnish, Mixes | No Comments »
A day or two ago BRK’s album Genesis saw its digital release, appearing on iTunes, Amazon and Spotify. By all accounts the album has been a hit with NRG producers and fans across the scene, so now’s the time to show some support and get the tunes for yourself.
Posted in Swedish, Italian, Finnish, Releases | No Comments »
Recently I caught up on all the recent Smiling Corpse podcasts - four sets of excellent quality that no Horser should miss out on.
Episode 11 features a really interesting, experimental set from Dyzphazia that very skilfully switches between different subgenres to make something very fresh. Making the most of the schranzy-style tracks to bring in new sections, this is one of the best Dyzphazia mixes for a while and a great set to check out if you’re in the mood for something different.
01) zkillbang3r - Loberta Ingrata (Original Mix) [Fiume Beat]
02) Sulima - On Mars (Original Mix) [Goamagnetic]
03) Hypix - Criminal [Sounds Diabolic]
04) Faradize - Psycho Therapy (Original Mix) [Goamagnetic]
05) Buchecha - Revolution (Original Mix) [Fiume Beat]
06) ETC - Helpless (2012 Remaster) [Phantasm Records]
07) zkillbang3r - La Huerfana [Sounds Diabolic]
08) Epyx & Cyrez ft. Jarno H - Continuum of the Ordeal [Watchtower]
09) Hellboy - The Nightmare Begins [Infractive Digital]
10) Alek Szahala - Unicorn Grove [Electroplates]
11) Qygen - Supersonic Speed 2013 [F/C Freeformatted Vol 2]
12) Einhander - Fourbeast [CDr]
13) Betwixt & Between - Tankobu Heso Tarou no Hourou (Proteus Remix) [Hardcore Tano*C]
14) Ayrx - Morokai (Le Dos-On Remix) [F/C Smiling Corpse]
15) Brothers In Techno & ASIN vs. Qygen - Arkhatek Temple (Dyzphazia Bootleg) [CDr]
Alchemiist’s set from the same podcast is exactly what I hoped for - twisty, solidly mixed and with plenty of older darkness. It’s not always easy to find freeform sets that go for all-out aggression, and with the sprinkling of promos livening things up this is a must-listen.
01) Pantera - By Demons Be Driven (Alchemiist & Decion Rework) [CDr]
02) Alchemiist - Terrible Times [Orrible Noize]
03) Horzi - Human Hater (Substanced Remix) [FiNRG]
04) Alek Száhala - Maruuk [FiNRG]
05) Endemic - Hurricane [Watchtower]
06) Substanced - Reptile Zoo [FiNRG]
07) Twisted Freq - Unleashed [Electronica Exposed]
08) Twisted Freq - Hanuman Visits Lanka [Electronica Exposed]
09) Twisted Freq & Cyrez - The Edge Of Extinction [Electronica Exposed]
10) Alchemiist - Neurotic [CDr]
11) Lost Soul feat. Dark Angel - Sacrifice (Endemic Remix) [Watchtower]
12) Substanced & Alchemiist - Skullcrush [FiNRG]
Episode 12 keeps things dark with a great set from Olly Addictive that introduces some variety around the basic TYFTH-friendly sound. I often think that mixing other tunes with Alek Szahala tracks is a very risky business, as very little else can match his unique atmosphere and it ends up feeling like a waste (eg. my Lucky Lotus set - Let the Funeral Begin works a treat, but Last Glimmer of Hope cancels out Sunray’s atmosphere and things head off in a different, lighter direction). Anyway, Olly puts the lie to all that with a blinder of a connection, moving straight from Pastor Skinstrom into Solar Hive. Brilliant stuff, and the rest of the set is melodic but twisted, and definitely recommended.
01) Unnatural Selection & Cik - Day of Judgement (Ophidian Remix) [Industrial Strength]
02) Carbon Based - Painkiller [Electroplates]
03) Epyx & Cyrez - Unohdetut 2011 [Electrode]
04) Shanty - Cerebral Cortex (Wyrm Remix) [Electrode]
05) Transcend - Eons [F/C Watchtower]
06) Qygen & Olly Addictive - Vapaamuoto [F/C Smiling Corpse]
07) The Sauna Boys - Pastor Skinstrom [FiNRG]
08) Alek Száhala - Solar Hive [FiNRG]
09) Alchemiist - Empire [FiNRG]
10) Evolutionize - Pain [F/C Freeformatted Vol.2]
11) Transcend & Neptune - The Spirit Molecule [F/C Strictly for the Purist]
12) AC Slater - Overdose [Kaotik]
13) Tommyknocker - Twist [Traxtorm Records]
Finally we have a headline set from Alek Szahala that is hopefully getting the listeners it deserves. The tracklist alone is fantastic, with a few oldies alongside the wonderful Succubus, Raingun and Mageslayer, but this one also deserves special attention for the mixing style. Maybe the most complex Alek set I’ve heard so far, there’s plenty of mixing before the traditional outro section and a couple of tunes that leap straight into the breakdown, keeping even hardcore Alek fans guessing until the end. A top quality hour then, and the perfect warm up for Alek’s 10th Anniversary set in Helsinki tonight.
01) Alek Száhala - Intro
02) Alek Száhala - Succubus [CDr]
03) Alek Száhala - Deimos [FiNRG]
04) Alek Száhala - Supriya [FiNRG]
05) Alek Száhala - Astraia [ReBuild Music]
06) Alek Száhala - Dryad Machine [FiNRG]
07) Alek Száhala - Aurinko [CDr]
08) Alek Száhala - Alanamra (Arkitech Remix) [Nu Energy]
09) Alek Száhala - Iron Squid [FiNRG]
10) Alek Száhala - Maruuk [FiNRG]
11) Alek Száhala - Railgun [CDr]
12) Alek Száhala - Mageslayer [FiNRG]
13) Alek Száhala - Barber’s Adagio for Strings [FiNRG]
14) Alek Száhala - Vengeance
15) Alek Száhala - Anmitzcuacah
Check out all the sets here
Posted in UK, Goa / Psy, Canadian, Finnish, Japanese, Drum & Bass, Mixes | No Comments »
I’m obviously no use as a news source right now, but the endless commutes and post-work gazing into space is at least giving me a chance to catch up on some excellent sets. I have a few to post up now, so let’s begin with Son of Sam’s Sinistry selection of melodic/twisted tracks.
That opening rock-solid mix between Reborn and Polaris had me immediately convinced, but using Starfall as the set’s centrepiece is just fantastic - it remains one of my all-time favourite Alek tunes. The mix into Air shows that a lot of thought went into this mix, and there’s a great flow here. It might be a bit of a freeform cliche these days to finish a set with gabber, but when it works this well, why not?
Overall this was a brilliant set and a really nice surprise - with the one like BEEZEE also dropping some trademark sounds, Sinistry might just have been the best UK event ever for ‘intelligent freeform’. With Aryx and myself trying to do the same at Munted! (a much-delayed look back at that will be coming one of these days), there’s real hope that deeper sounds will play a much bigger role in the scene’s development.
- jD-KiD - Reborn [Re-Born Beats]
- Aryx - Polaris [Watchtower]
- jD-KiD & Javi DJ - Purnima [B-Form Beats]
- Alek Szahala - Deimos [FINRG]
- Le Dos-On - Obsidian [Relentless Digital]
- Paocala - Starfall [Electronica Exposed]
- Le Dos-On - Air [Relentless Digital]
- Substanced - Ghost of the Future [Watchtower]
- jD-KiD & DJ Corr - Carinae [ReBuild Music]
- Korsakoff - Pink Noise [Cloud 9 Dance]
- Dyprax - Murder & Crime [MoH]
- AniMe - Cracks [Traxstorm]
Posted in UK, Finnish, Events, Japanese, Mixes | No Comments »
NRG fans should probably mark October 23rd in their diaries, as that’s when BRK’s first full-length album will finally be touching down. Thanks to the man himself I’ve got hold of it a little early - it’s a really quality collection of tracks that definitely confirms the progress he’s made over the past year.
The album starts off with the title track Genesis, an utterly fantastic 3 minutes of dark atmosphere. It might be odd to choose an intro as my favourite track, but it’s a brilliant piece of work and a very worthy start to the album. The meat of the tracklist is of course Lab 4-influenced NRG, given some really nice extra touches with the collabs later on. Standouts for me might be the FINRG-released Rome Will Burn Down, the pounding intro to Pitch Black and the lovely filters of Saint Evil, but there’s also some welcome variety with the piano sequence in Something I Can’t Do and the vocals of Love’s a Bitch.
Great to see Heathen involved in trademark style on Everything Dies, before the album closes with a couple of minutes of downtempo, melancholy piano. Minimal but atmospheric, it’s a nice way to end things and actually clocks around 80bpm, raising the possibility of some interesting mixes in an NRG set.
This is essential stuff for any NRG fan, then, and a big achievement by BRK after all his hard work. Be sure to support a real trooper of our scene by checking this out in a couple of weeks time.
Posted in Swedish, Italian, Finnish, Releases | No Comments »