Another quick post, this time to announce that my Smiling Corpse set is now up on the FINRG SoundCloud - hopefully this’ll introduce a few more people to the newer tunes on the tracklist, as well as give a little extra exposure to Smiling Corpse. Wyrm’s set is also on SoundCloud, and you can find it here.
Posted in UK, Goa / Psy, Canadian, Finnish, Japanese, Events, Mixes | 1 Comment »
I’m doing my best to catch up on stuff these days, so next from the archives we have a wonderful set from Cyberdyne Seba. I get the impression from the SoundCloud comments that most Horsers have been on the case with this one for a good while, but anyone else who enjoys high-energy freeform with plenty of filters definitely needs to check this set out.
Reminiscent of an Alderz/Beezee set, this one doesn’t let up for a moment and gets the balance of melodies and nastiness just about spot on. Watch out too for some fantastic, energetic mixing - Surendrajit into Lush is a very ambitious combo that crashes through in fine style, but there are plenty of other nice selections and a perfectly timed use of Vyral XIII’s Auracite that deserves an honourable mention.
I obviously need to give a special thanks to Seba for the extensive use of the TYFTH SoundCloud, it’s great to see how well the tunes fit into a set of this standard, and equally nice to see DJs putting the tracks to good use - that’s the point of this little project, after all.
1. +12V - Read/Write (Free DL: www.happyhardcore.com/forums/topic.a…TOPIC_ID=60229)
2. Transcend - Spirit Of Hades (Stamina Slam)
3. Substanced - Damage Point (Relentless Digital)
4. Rob O.T.T. - New Direction (Free DL: soundcloud.com/thank-you-for-the-horse/rob-o-t-t-new-direction)
5. Vyral XIII - Auracite (2013 Edit) (Free DL: www.vyral13.bandcamp.com)
6. Substanced - Colombia (Free DL: soundcloud.com/thank-you-for-the-horse/substanced-colombia)
7. Invader & Nightforce - Auferstehung (Full Circle DJs Remix) (Free DL: soundcloud.com/invaderben/auferstehung-fullcircledjs-remix)
8. Bewtixt & Between - Surendrajit (2011 Refix)(Free DL no longer available?)
9. Pain On Creation - Lush (Epyx & Cyrez Remix) (Free DL: soundcloud.com/finrg-recordings/pain-on-creation-lush-epyx)
10. Twisted Freq - All 4 You (Free DL: soundcloud.com/thank-you-for-the-horse/twisted-freq-fall-4-you)
11. Betwixt & Between - Phaedra (Free DL: soundcloud.com/thank-you-for-the-horse/betwixt-between-phaedra)
12. Tazz vs. Solar State - Rhythm Flows (Electronic Recordings)
13. Olly Addictive - PH Machine (3form Records)
14. A.M.S. - Overload (Free DL no longer available)
Posted in Canadian, UK, Finnish, Drum & Bass, Japanese, Mixes | No Comments »
Many thanks to everyone who tuned into last month’s Smiling Corpse podcast, and equally hearty thanks to Wyrm and the SC crew for the invitation to play - as always I’m hugely grateful for the support. The entire show has just been added to the Dead Happy archive, so let’s take the chance to look back at the two sets.
Putting my mix together was traumatic to say the least, as I did my very best to strike the balance between using sections from recent club events and not ending up with a structureless Frankenstein’s monster of a set. Personally I think I fell into that trap with Episode 7 of Munted! Monthly, but this time I considered how to use pre-existing stuff much more carefully and am far happier with the end result. Having said that, a few days before the deadline I hacked out 6 (!) tracks and had a proper (if manic) rethink, as it clearly didn’t have enough melancholy or relisten value.
As always, a massive thanks to the artists and labels who provided tunes - these sets couldn’t happen at all without your help. This time I was sold on Gestaltzerfall as an intro track the moment I heard it, and either by DJing sixth sense or blind luck (I know which one’s more likely) Prelude was the first tune I tried as a mix. Happily, Prelude has been a backup connection for the Freedom - Rise - Dilapidated section for a good few months now, and that really inspired me for the rest of the set. Fatal Flashback and Afraid was a recent find, while I’ve been playing around with the Neon Circuitboards - Gravity’s Rainbow - Darkstar section since Munted! in London. After much back and forth, I finally decided on Helix - Mohicans as the finale after playing the preceding 50mins a few times in practice. There’s just enough nastiness to link them both to the rest of the set, before heading off into that magical, melancholy direction.
Of course the set’s far from perfect, but given my time restrictions these days I was really glad to see how some of the Krafty listeners enjoyed it on the night - it made all the hair-tearing and kickdrum-induced headaches worthwhile. By the way, a couple of the ‘CDR’ tracks here are headed for release (or at least, announcement of a release) very soon indeed, and will likely sound even nicer as here I used unmastered/older versions.
01) Guld - Gestaltzerfall [CDR]
02) Epyx & Cyrez - Prelude [Electronica Exposed]
03) Proteus - Freedom [CDR]
04) Thanatos - Rise (Render Regalia remix) [Allkore]
05) ikaruga_nex - Dilapidated [Fukyagaku Hardcore] / ikaruga_nex - Dilapidated 2013 [Freeformatted]
06) Carbon Based - Fatal Flashback [FINRG]
07) Nomic - Afraid [CDR]
08) Twisted Freq - Alien [Electronica Exposed]
09) Qygen - Neon Circuit Boards [CDR]
10) Betwixt & Between - Gravity’s Rainbow [Hardcore Tano*C]
11) Alek Szahala - Darkstar [Electronica Exposed]
12) Betwixt & Between - Ultra World 6 [CDR]
13) Blender & Nomic - Battle of Dawn [CDR]
14) Twisted Freq - Saturn Atmosfear [Volatile Digital]
15) Aryx - Helix [CDR]
16) Alek Szahala - Last of the Mohicans (Remix) [CDR]
Let’s not forget Wyrm’s fantastic second hour though - his set was full of unexpected twists, from hard techno to psy via plenty of unreleased SC material. After a timely Happy Birthday, Wyrm went heavy on the harder tracks (Rhythmic Tool being a standout for me), followed by some quality new freeform. I hadn’t heard Custom Built DJs’ Pneumatic or Qygen’s superb remix of Tendrils of Reality before, while it was lovely to hear Qygen’s tribute to Betwixt & Between - Kimura Kaoru no Densetsu - being used so effectively in a set. Add Dodomeki to the list and you really see the strength in depth of Smiling Corpse’s upcoming releases. Some typically nutty psy has also been very skilfully woven into the set, making this a genuine must-listen if you didn’t catch it at the time.
01) Flute Guy - Happy Birthday
02) Mechanical Brothers vs. Instigator - Frozen Hell [Cannibal Society]
03) Wyrm & Surtr - Tesseract [Electrode]
04) Greg Notill & Slugos - Rhythmic Tool [Cannibal Society]
05) Tyranoid & Strongstream - Stalingrad (Osmo Remix) [FiNRG]
06) Greg Notill - Conscient but Denied (Instigator Remix) [Kube Records]
07) Custom Built DJ’s - Pneumatic [F/C Smiling Corpse]
08) Anon - Manix#1 [F/C Buzzin’ Bootlegs]
09) Cosmic Lizard vs. Metahuman - K-Jah! [Lunatic Alien Records]
10) Ikaruga_Nex - Dodomeki [F/C Smiling Corpse]
11) Qygen - Kimura Kaoru no Densetsu [F/C Smiling Corpse]
12) Oxidaksi - White Weirdo [Cryptic Symmetry Records]
13) Substanced - Reptile Zoo [FiNRG]
14) Wyrm - Tendrils of Reality (Qygen Remix) [F/C Smiling Corpse]
Posted in Canadian, UK, Goa / Psy, Finnish, Drum & Bass, Japanese, Events, Mixes | 1 Comment »
Recently I caught up on all the recent Smiling Corpse podcasts - four sets of excellent quality that no Horser should miss out on.
Episode 11 features a really interesting, experimental set from Dyzphazia that very skilfully switches between different subgenres to make something very fresh. Making the most of the schranzy-style tracks to bring in new sections, this is one of the best Dyzphazia mixes for a while and a great set to check out if you’re in the mood for something different.
01) zkillbang3r - Loberta Ingrata (Original Mix) [Fiume Beat]
02) Sulima - On Mars (Original Mix) [Goamagnetic]
03) Hypix - Criminal [Sounds Diabolic]
04) Faradize - Psycho Therapy (Original Mix) [Goamagnetic]
05) Buchecha - Revolution (Original Mix) [Fiume Beat]
06) ETC - Helpless (2012 Remaster) [Phantasm Records]
07) zkillbang3r - La Huerfana [Sounds Diabolic]
08) Epyx & Cyrez ft. Jarno H - Continuum of the Ordeal [Watchtower]
09) Hellboy - The Nightmare Begins [Infractive Digital]
10) Alek Szahala - Unicorn Grove [Electroplates]
11) Qygen - Supersonic Speed 2013 [F/C Freeformatted Vol 2]
12) Einhander - Fourbeast [CDr]
13) Betwixt & Between - Tankobu Heso Tarou no Hourou (Proteus Remix) [Hardcore Tano*C]
14) Ayrx - Morokai (Le Dos-On Remix) [F/C Smiling Corpse]
15) Brothers In Techno & ASIN vs. Qygen - Arkhatek Temple (Dyzphazia Bootleg) [CDr]
Alchemiist’s set from the same podcast is exactly what I hoped for - twisty, solidly mixed and with plenty of older darkness. It’s not always easy to find freeform sets that go for all-out aggression, and with the sprinkling of promos livening things up this is a must-listen.
01) Pantera - By Demons Be Driven (Alchemiist & Decion Rework) [CDr]
02) Alchemiist - Terrible Times [Orrible Noize]
03) Horzi - Human Hater (Substanced Remix) [FiNRG]
04) Alek Száhala - Maruuk [FiNRG]
05) Endemic - Hurricane [Watchtower]
06) Substanced - Reptile Zoo [FiNRG]
07) Twisted Freq - Unleashed [Electronica Exposed]
08) Twisted Freq - Hanuman Visits Lanka [Electronica Exposed]
09) Twisted Freq & Cyrez - The Edge Of Extinction [Electronica Exposed]
10) Alchemiist - Neurotic [CDr]
11) Lost Soul feat. Dark Angel - Sacrifice (Endemic Remix) [Watchtower]
12) Substanced & Alchemiist - Skullcrush [FiNRG]
Episode 12 keeps things dark with a great set from Olly Addictive that introduces some variety around the basic TYFTH-friendly sound. I often think that mixing other tunes with Alek Szahala tracks is a very risky business, as very little else can match his unique atmosphere and it ends up feeling like a waste (eg. my Lucky Lotus set - Let the Funeral Begin works a treat, but Last Glimmer of Hope cancels out Sunray’s atmosphere and things head off in a different, lighter direction). Anyway, Olly puts the lie to all that with a blinder of a connection, moving straight from Pastor Skinstrom into Solar Hive. Brilliant stuff, and the rest of the set is melodic but twisted, and definitely recommended.
01) Unnatural Selection & Cik - Day of Judgement (Ophidian Remix) [Industrial Strength]
02) Carbon Based - Painkiller [Electroplates]
03) Epyx & Cyrez - Unohdetut 2011 [Electrode]
04) Shanty - Cerebral Cortex (Wyrm Remix) [Electrode]
05) Transcend - Eons [F/C Watchtower]
06) Qygen & Olly Addictive - Vapaamuoto [F/C Smiling Corpse]
07) The Sauna Boys - Pastor Skinstrom [FiNRG]
08) Alek Száhala - Solar Hive [FiNRG]
09) Alchemiist - Empire [FiNRG]
10) Evolutionize - Pain [F/C Freeformatted Vol.2]
11) Transcend & Neptune - The Spirit Molecule [F/C Strictly for the Purist]
12) AC Slater - Overdose [Kaotik]
13) Tommyknocker - Twist [Traxtorm Records]
Finally we have a headline set from Alek Szahala that is hopefully getting the listeners it deserves. The tracklist alone is fantastic, with a few oldies alongside the wonderful Succubus, Raingun and Mageslayer, but this one also deserves special attention for the mixing style. Maybe the most complex Alek set I’ve heard so far, there’s plenty of mixing before the traditional outro section and a couple of tunes that leap straight into the breakdown, keeping even hardcore Alek fans guessing until the end. A top quality hour then, and the perfect warm up for Alek’s 10th Anniversary set in Helsinki tonight.
01) Alek Száhala - Intro
02) Alek Száhala - Succubus [CDr]
03) Alek Száhala - Deimos [FiNRG]
04) Alek Száhala - Supriya [FiNRG]
05) Alek Száhala - Astraia [ReBuild Music]
06) Alek Száhala - Dryad Machine [FiNRG]
07) Alek Száhala - Aurinko [CDr]
08) Alek Száhala - Alanamra (Arkitech Remix) [Nu Energy]
09) Alek Száhala - Iron Squid [FiNRG]
10) Alek Száhala - Maruuk [FiNRG]
11) Alek Száhala - Railgun [CDr]
12) Alek Száhala - Mageslayer [FiNRG]
13) Alek Száhala - Barber’s Adagio for Strings [FiNRG]
14) Alek Száhala - Vengeance
15) Alek Száhala - Anmitzcuacah
Check out all the sets here
Posted in UK, Goa / Psy, Canadian, Finnish, Japanese, Drum & Bass, Mixes | No Comments »
It’s been a while since we featured a raqhow mix on TYFTH, but I’m more than happy to give this excellent set a shout. This is one of those rare things, a ‘dark freeform’ set that actually lives up to the name, with some quality atmosphere and raqhow’s usual solid mixing. The set gets into its stride from Metaphysical Redemption, and the sequence all the way through to Fking Pirates is very nicely done. Everyone’s probably familiar with the tunes here, but Izanami still gets a big recommend.
1.Epyx & Cyrez - Why
2.Substanced & Grimsoul - Harder Than U Think
3.Nightforce - Metaphysical Redemption
4.Twisted Freq - Death From Above
5.Micken - Change The Past
6.Micken - The Channeler
7.Substanced - Acid World
8.Alchemiist - Anthrax Injection
9.Amini - Fking Pirates
10.Nightforce - Symphony For The Devil (The Virus Escaped)
11.Betwixt & Between - Inexistenz
Posted in Canadian, Finnish, Japanese, Mixes | No Comments »
We already know that Alchemiist sets are worth looking out for, and thankfully his recent Freeformaniacs appearance has kept up the standard. There’s a really nice atmosphere in this one, maybe best described as melodic dark freeform - any set with a lot of Alchemiist tunes is going to be pretty nasty, but this one does a good job of switching back to the slightly-lighter side to throw in some melodies. Excellent use of a couple of classic Kreatrix tracks gets the set an extra thumb up.
01. Substanced - Ghost Of The Future (Alchemiist Remix)
02. Transcend & Dyzphazia - Tormenting Flames (Original Mix)
03. Twisted Freq pres. Nightforce - The Ghost Of Jupiter
04. Substanced - Damage Point
05. Ephexis, DJ Rx & Carbon Based - Decimator
06. Alchemiist - Anthrax Injection
07. Alchemiist - Noise Of Thunder
08. Substanced & Alchemiist - Facemelt
09. Twisted Freq - Kreation
10. Endemic - Xen
11. Alchemiist - Neurotic
Posted in UK, Canadian, Finnish, Mixes | 1 Comment »
I’ve now had a chance to listen to both sets from last weekend’s SC podcast, and it’s a big recommend for anyone else who missed the live event. Wyrm’s set in particular is a fantastic hour that sets a new standard of mixing modern freeform with dark psy, obviously really well-considered with a nice consistent theme all the way through. This is helped by a couple of amazing Qygen tracks - 60Hz Power Rave has to be one of the most impressive tracks so far this year. As always, it’s hard to combine harder freeform with psy, but Wyrm does a fine job, and the trippy breakbeat of Funkin’ Jungle is a lovely selection.
Horzi’s set is more conventional, but maybe that’s no bad thing after the experimental sounds of Wyrm. Heavy on the brand-new FINRG releases, there’s also an interesting choice of the two Elementz Records releases towards the end, as well as a pitched up Fist of the North Star.
A great show then - wander along to the Smiling Corpse site for tracklists and download links.
Posted in Canadian, UK, Goa / Psy, Finnish, Drum & Bass, Japanese, Events, Mixes | 3 Comments »
For those who weren’t aware until now, there’s one heck of a freeform release on the way from one of the founders of the sound, Electronica Exposed. Following on from the excellent Freeform Exposed, this second edition will have two Shanty-mixed sets and 37 (!) unmixed tunes spread over 3 parts, set for release in February, March and April. No sign of tracklists just yet, but check out the release page for a very promising list of artists and a schedule for the promo clips (starting with the great Finfish remix).
Posted in UK, Canadian, Finnish, Releases, Japanese | 2 Comments »
Another great set this week comes courtesy of Custom Built DJ’s Jon Mysterave - a nicely selected tribute to Kreatrix. With its firm commitment to the dark side and a relentlessly high bpm, Twisted Freq’s label was in many ways ahead of its time, so praise be for sets like this that remind both veterans and rookies of the good old days. Tracks like Wannabe Gansgstah and Danse Macabre aren’t heard too often anymore, but here sound as good as ever alongside classics like Unleashed and Exaltation. Kudos to Mr Mysterave too for spreading out the ‘breakbeat tunes’, giving a really nice overall rhythm to the mix.
Make the extra effort to negotiate the not-so-familiar TempoPlus site, this one is really worth a download.
Posted in UK, Canadian, Mixes | 3 Comments »
The final upload for this week is a special one for Kreatrix fans - Level 13’s updated version of Is That All. We previewed it back in the day here on TYFTH, and earlier this year I used it in the first part of my 10 Years of FINRG set. While I’m not often a fan of vocal freeform, this is a very original tune with quite a different feel to a lot of tracks, while of course keeping the manic filtering that Kreatrix is famous for.
Looking at the downloads these past few days it seems that a fair number of people are discovering/catching up on the account’s older tracks too, so this is probably a nice point to stop the uploads for now. Fear not though - there are already some more tunes on the horizon which will be going online very soon indeed.
Posted in Canadian, Releases | 9 Comments »