Here’s a lovely new free release from between Qygen and Wyrm that ticks all the right boxes if you’re into psychedelic, dark freeform. One of those collabs that really does manage to sound like a melding of both artists’ sounds, Digital Torment is a must-download via the Smiling Corpse Facebook page (click the Free downloads! section).
The track also coincides with the big announcement of Qygen’s upcoming album, set to be a physical release.
Posted in Goa / Psy, UK, Releases | 3 Comments »
The first set for a while from Nrgray is a nice 30 minute showcase of darker, melodic tracks. The big attraction here is obviously the Altered States version of Moving Flare, a beautiful tune that brings back lots of memories, but the set properly gets into its stride with Innocence into Morokai, nicely anchoring that all-important middle section of the mix.
1. ThermalForce - Moving Flare (Altered States) (CDR)
2. Transcend - Mindglow (Rebuild Music)
3. Nomic - Innocence (CDR)
4. Aryx - Morokai (Smiling Corpse)
5. Substanced & Alchemiist - Skullcrush (Transcend & Dyzphazia remix) (F/C FINRG Recordings)
6. Ikaruga_nex - Dodomeki (F/C Smiling Corpse)
Posted in UK, Finnish, Japanese, Mixes | 2 Comments »
Been quite busy this week, and too occupied with Codex prep to check out all the mixes that have appeared recently. Here are a couple though, and I’ll catch up on the rest asap - there’re some really tasty sets floating around at the moment.
First up is Dyzphazia’s Lucky Lotus set, a really interesting hour that eases into the freeform after a slower start. I went for a similar ‘rookie friendly’ start, but here the lower bpm works especially well, then moving up through the gears and eventually finishing with Hydra. Lots of newer stuff on show throughout, but for me the standout moment of the set was definitely the Skullcrush - Anthrax Injection combo, a really nice mix of melodies and nastiness that flows very well. A shame it doesn’t continue in the same vein a little longer, but you won’t find a bad tune in the tracklist, that’s for sure (though Pink Magic doesn’t actually seem to be in there..?).
- Marilyn Manson - Resident Evil Main Theme (J-Gear Bootleg) [CDr]
- Wyrm & Surtr - Tesseract [Electrode]
- Cosmic Gate - Back to Earth (Alchemiist Bootleg) [CDr]
- Alek Szahala - Lagash (Original Mix) [CDr]
- Betwixt & Between - East of Eden [CDr]
- Substanced & Alchemiist - Skullcrush (Transcend & Dyzphazia Remix) [F/C FiNRG]
- Alchemiist - Anthrax Injection [Smiling Corpse]
- Epyx & Cyrez - Unohdetut 2011 [Electrode]
- Yuki Kajiura - Mezame (Nomic Bootleg) [CDr]
- Proteus & Kevin Energy - London Helsinki Underground (Proteus Warcry Remix) [NuEnergy]
- Qygen - gXX-XeY-XQn 2010 [CDr]
- Alek Szahala - Pink Magic [FiNRG]
- Betwixt & Between - Hydra (Long Edit) [Hardcore Tano*C]
Posted in UK, Finnish, Events, Japanese, Mixes | 3 Comments »
Yet more releases from Le Dos-on, this time an upcoming EP on Relentless Digital. The track that caught my ear from the preview was Obsidian, but anyone into slightly lighter sounds will also find much to like in the other two. By all accounts there’s a lot of new Le Dos-on material set to appear on other labels too, I’m really looking forward to hearing which ones he picks for his Codex set next week.
Posted in UK, Releases, Japanese | 1 Comment »
Here’s a set I’ve wanted to mention for a couple of months now, another stormer from the one like Alderz. A quick look at the tracklist should be all you need, but worth mentioning the variety here, slipping in some UK freeform (of the more aggressively filtered, Finnish sort) in the middle section, bridging the melodic stuff and the nastier, harder finale.
Alderz’s trademark mixing style means there’s hardly time to draw breath before a new tune comes hammering in, it’s a great way to combine a lot of different material and definitely keeps the interest up. A quality set then, and definitely worth a download.
1. Alek Szahala - Dawnstar (Aryx Remix) / Rebuild
2. Transcend & Lost Soul - 7 Light Cycles / Watchtower
3. Amini - Fcking Pirates / Rebuild
4. Substanced & Alchemiist - Facemelt / Finrg
5. Betwixt & Between - Liberation / CDR
6. Nomic - Suicide Machine / Smiling Corpse
7. Endemic - Xen / Watchtower
8. Transcend - Lament Configuration / Watchtower
9. Substanced & Alchemiist - Permission To Die / Finrg
10. Epyx & Cyrez - A Bit Rougher / Watchtower
11. Marilyn Manson - This Is The New Shit (Nomic Remix - 2013 Edit) / CDR
12. Kilamorza - Sirius / Freeformatted 008
Posted in UK, Finnish, Japanese, Mixes | 2 Comments »
What I’d give to be at this event - following up Munted’s superb support for the freeform scene is the latest Sinstry, a three-room spectacular that ticks all the right boxes as far as I’m concerned. The main room can hardly fail to bring in a big crowd, but has a very strong underground feel that will go to the next level with the addition of BRK. As the winner of the recent mix submission contest, he’ll take the main stage into even darker territory with his now top-quality productions and selection. Massive congrats to him.
The freeform room is where we see the real event headliner though - Nomic will be returning to London for the first time in years, with some superb new material that’s surely the perfect fit for Sinistry (check out his amazing preview of Turbulence if you haven’t already).
The cyber theme and Slimelight floor are finishing touches to what looks a fantastic night, surely a must-attend if you’re anywhere near London/the UK. As usual, the Facebook event page has plenty of extra info to check out.
Posted in Italian, UK, Finnish, Releases, Events | 4 Comments »
Two new free releases here courtesy of E&C and Watchtower, a very nice surprise after the launch of Two Against the Void. Risk Addiction 2 might be the headliner here, a great rework of the classic original that manages to squeeze in some harder sections alongside the energetic melodies, going in a different direction to Substanced’s still-awesome remix.
Psychotropic is a fantastic left-field track, sounding unlike anything else we’ve heard from the duo for a long time. It raises all sorts of possibilities for use in a slower set - I can already imagine it working brilliantly in a Tyranoid mix, for example.
Posted in UK, Finnish, Releases | No Comments »
I got back from London yesterday afternoon, so it’s about time to settle into the Horse’s saddle and resume normal service. Let’s start with something I really should have found time for before I left - the pre-Munted! spectacular on Krafty Radio from a couple of weeks ago.
I had the honour of starting off the two-hour set, and decided to pillage an unfinished Alek Szahala-only mix I had been planning as a Facebook page gift, combining it with a couple of older mixes that long-time Ustream listeners might remember. In a token effort to be more up-to-date I replaced the old Ustream stalwart of Aurora with Polaris, a nicely uplifting way to end my section and which Midas did a brilliant job of running with. Sorry about the overly-long use of Comet Catcher by the way - originally it was supposed to mix from The Purification but that would have meant overshooting my time limit, sadly ruling out my first use of a UK tune for about 5 years.
Anyway, I’m quite happy with the atmosphere in my set, and with a superb final section from Pearsall that’s very heavy on the Japanese tracks, the two hours have a nicely consistent feel while still showing off the distinctive style of each DJ. Look out too for some amazing variety from Midas and Aryx’s brand new The Golden Chariot.
01. Alek Szahala - Comet Catcher
02. Alek Szahala - Pink Magic
03. Suge - Terrible Oneness
04. Alek Szahala - Solar Hive
05. Carbon Based & Nemes - Heaven n’ Hell (Alek Szahala Remix)
06. Alabaster - Acid Maker
07. Pain on Creation & DJ Rx - Super Sonic
08. Aryx - Polaris
09. Substanced & J-Mx - Flawless Victory
10. Substanced - Signal Lost (Endemic Remix)
11. Substanced - Seismic Activity (Transcend Remix)
12. A.B. & Amplitude - Thinking Machine (Douglas Remix)
13. CLSM - Wicked MC feat. MC Sharkey
14. Cube::Hard - Hold The Beat
15. Cube::Hard v CLSM - See You On The Other Side
16. Aryx - Polaris
17. Aryx - Celestia
18. Aryx - Aurora
19. Aryx - Sylph
20. Aryx - The Golden Chariot (Unfinished)
21. Substanced - The End of All Things (Aryx Remix)
22. Qygen - Silicon Skies ft Leo Hartley
23. Dani Delirio - Neo Tokyo
24. Guld - Castle In The Sky Remix
25. Substanced - Damage Point
26. Nomic - Rift
27. Le Dos-On - Marionette
28. Penguin Conspiracy - Reality Distortion Field
29. A.B. & Nick 235 - Future’s Past Feat. Rhona
30. Le Dos-On - Yksisarvinen
31. Epyx & Cyrez - Sound Of The Golden Clarion (Le Dos-On Remix)
Munted! in London was absolutely fantastic by the way - some superb sets and great people made for a top quality night. Some photos and video will hopefully surface at some point, so stay tuned for a proper look back in the nearish future.
Posted in UK, Finnish, Events, Japanese, Mixes | 3 Comments »
Here’s that post I’ve been trying to find the time for - an inspired contribution to the Freeformaniacs show that’s hands down the best freeform set I’ve heard this year. It’s clear right from the start how much effort Cuedy put into this mix, and it flows brilliantly through a lovely selection of TYFTH-friendly melodic freeform and some fantastic, creative connections. For the first time in a long time I found myself enjoying the transitions themselves (very rare, but the way it should be, surely) and really being drawn into the set’s atmosphere. Just when I thought the set might be fading away, the Morokai - Quantum Epiphany combination energises the finale in fine style, while the earlier Chaos Maker - Leadbeater is another real standout.
No time for further comment (and forgive the possibly confusing copy/paste tracklist down below), but hopefully the scene will give this excellent set the praise it deserves - creative, thoughtful and a proper inspiration.
1. Explosive Tendencies Penguin Conspiracy [Freeform Exposed 2/Electrode]
2. Sound Of The Golden Clarion Epyx & Cyrez [Two Against The Void/Watchtower Records]
3. The Gatekeeper Eryk Orpheus & Flip [Freeformania/Rebuild Music]
4. Dilapidated Ikaruga_Nex [Subaru Shu ~Subaru no Tama~/Hukagyaku Hardcore]
5. 28 Day Later Audio Warfare & Audio Impulse [Free Release/ Soundcloud]
6. Chaos Maker Nomic [Free Release/ Soundcloud]
7. Leadbeater Alchemiist & J-Mx [TYFH][Free Release/ Soundcloud]
8. Sadness & Sorrow (Epyx & Cyrez Remix) Nightforce [Electronic Exclusives 11: Plundered Vaults/Electronica Exposed]
9. Yabarekabare Suge [Freeformania/Rebuild Music]
10. Verzweiflung Hommarju [Relentless Digital][Subaru Shu ~Subaru no Tama~/Hukagyaku Hardcore]
11. Human Hater Horzi [FiNRG][Free Release/ Soundcloud]
12. Sarcomite Alabaster [Hardcore Syndrome 3/Hardcore Tano*C]
13. Morokai Aryx [Smiling Corpse CD1/Smiling Corpse]
14. Quantium Epiphany Qygen [Freeform Exposed 2/Electrode]
15. Ja Tri Fu Le Dos-On [核-Core-/Solidbox Records]
Posted in UK, Goa / Psy, Finnish, Drum & Bass, Japanese, Mixes | 3 Comments »
(Guld, Petteri Carbon Based, Laz Re-form, Your Correspondent, COGI)
What better way to promote yourself before a big event than by not updating your own site for a month and a half?
How I wish that it’s an exaggeration, but I’ve been so ridiculously busy since April that the choice has been between food, sleep and Munted prep, with absolutely no time for anything else. Ah, I tell a lie - my two evenings off were very pleasant, spent first with Byproduct and then with Petteri Carbon Based and one half of Re-form while they visited Japan/Tokyo. It was brilliant to see everyone a year after that trip to Finland, but since then it’s been hardcore event prep all the way. Still a fair amount to do, but I’m making progress and just about on schedule considering 6-day workweeks and endless commutes.
Needless to say, there won’t be too many posts until early next month, but there will of course be Munted info as and when, as well a couple of other things I’ve been desperate to mention for a couple of weeks. Sorry about the disappearance, and hope you’ll bear with me while I get through the rest of May. What I’d give for an army of little Horsers (Foals?) to update the site in my absence.
Oh, continuing the ‘promote yourself by doing nothing’ theme, it seems that people have discovered the PlasmaDancer Facebook page I semi-set up last year and then promptly forgot about. Four or five intrepid freeform warriors actually found it months ago, and so I was working on a little 30 minute mix as a thank you to them - then Munted happened and I ended up using parts of the Thank You set for my segment on Freeformaniacs (coming a week tomorrow, if I’m not mistaken).
Anyway, I’m massively thankful to those early adopters, as well as the freeform folk who have been ‘liking’ it over the past couple of days. This place will always take priority, but I’ve just finished the basic setting up and will be able to add some bits and pieces there if/when I have the chance. The more Horsers the better of course, so feel free to check out the complete lack of content via this link.
Back to mixing for now - I’ll be sure to make some time for the next post asap!
Posted in UK, Finnish, Events, Japanese | 3 Comments »