This is freeform.
It’s almost enough to end the post there – but we first all owe Solvynt a massive thanks for rediscovering Betwixt & Between’s 2005 Live PA, and Matthew Lancaster for the mixcloud upload.
[update: Thanks to DY we now have a downloadable version too – check here for the mp3]
Listening again over the past few days, I’ve been trying to recall the feelings I had a decade ago when the darkness, aggression and eerie, emotional melodies of this set completely changed how I thought about hardcore. Without it I wouldn’t have discovered Alek’s sound either, and nothing from NRG Monogatari to In Praise of Shadows would have happened – it’s no exaggeration, then, to call this a life-changing set.
Those who haven’t heard it before are still in for a real treat. The set is the perfect illustration of Betwixt’s style as he absorbed FINRG influences and took his complex melodies and track structures in a darker direction, and the fact that many of us are still playing these tunes 10 years later really says it all.
1. Betwixt & Between – East of Eden
2. Betwixt & Between – Eternaly
3. Betwixt & Between – Liberation
4. Betwixt & Between – Mirage
5. Betwixt & Between – Reincarnation
6. Alek Szahala – Supriya (Goa Edit)
7. Betwixt & Between – 4321
8. Betwixt & Between – Don’t Stop
9. Betwixt & Between – City of Solitude
10. Betwixt & Between – Disturbed Mind (Live Edit)
11. Betwixt & Between – The Awakening (East of Eden Part2) (Live Edit)